Spring is finally here!!! Boulder’s weather is so bipolar, it’s been snowing on and off but I’m crossing my fingers that this fabulous weather is here to stay!! I’m loving all the blooming flowers everywhere. Spring also means spring cleaning!
The other weekend, Tyler and I did a huge purge of old clothes and other unnecessary junk in our house and gave it all to the Goodwill (I swear we had like 6 trash bags FULL of stuff). We also did a deep clean of our house which felt really good. Along with spring cleaning, we have been trying to “clean up” in other ways.
Tyler and I are both super conscious abut using body products that are safe, effective, and as natural as possible. I once heard that you should only put on your skin what you would put in your mouth, and that has kind of always stuck with me for some reason. After all, our skin is our largest organ that quickly absorbs whatever you put on it so it’s important to only use stuff that would be potentially edible (or almost). We try to make as many of our products at home as possible to ensure quality and to save money. That being said, we have a few creations that we want to share with y’all!! I am also going to include a few other natural/organic products that I couldn’t live without (links to all are at the bottom). Tyler created an amazing homemade shampoo/body wash that we’ve been loving and I recently made a body scrub that is seriously the best scrub I’ve ever tried! We both felt like we scrubbed a pound of dead skin off ourselves after using it…sorry if that’s TMI but this stuff works! Both are simple to make. We have also been using raw, organic apple cider vinegar as a toner/astringent and it’s the best! It’s cleansing, tightens the pores, and evens out complexion.
How to make your own 2-in-1 shampoo/body wash:
- measure out 1 cup of Dr. Bronner’s Baby Castile Soap
- mix soap with 2/3 cup of organic full fat coconut milk (we love our KitchenAid mixer)
- option to add a tablespoon or two of oil for more hydration (olive or avocado work best)
- add anywhere from 10-50 drops of whatever essential oils you like best (we used a combo of lavender, lemon, and eucalyptus)
- funnel mixture into a bottle
- shake well before using and enjoy 🙂
tip: when you first open the can of coconut milk be sure to mix the coconut cream at the top thoroughly with the coconut water at the bottom so that it’s all consistent BEFORE you mix it with the castille soap
How to make your own body scrub:
- in a mixer, whip equal parts organic brown sugar and organic coconut oil
- once that’s thoroughly mixed, throw in a handful of whole himalayan pink salt crystals
- option to add a few drops of essential oils (I did not add any because the scrub already smells divine by itself)
- transfer to a mason jar and enjoy
Hope y’all enjoy!! Continue reading for reviews of other products we love!
Also, here is a link to a wonderful database called “skin deep”. Just type in the name of almost any product and it will list all the ingredients and the score the product overall (1 being great/very clean and 10 being terribly toxic/throw away). I try to keep everything in our bathroom and shower in the 1-2 category. I pretty much consult this resource daily! http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/
Links to other products: